2014/01/08

Please mind the gap.



My inspiration for this collection of writings came while I was on the Underground, affectionately "the Tube," in London. The Tube comprises the oldest underground railway system, the Met, among other systems that were completed later.

As a result of its aggregate character, there is a rather large gap between the train and platform at some of the stations. Passengers are advised to exercise caution when alighting from the train. This is, to me, a great metaphor for life, a fact all the more clear when I consider that the gaps on the train platforms are a literal manifestation between images we harbor and reality: the discrepancy between our idealized image of a super-convenient, perfect subway station and the reality that things do not always firm up in the way we envision.

When speaking of the Gap, I am therefore not talking about the retailer. Rather, I mean to indicate the disparity between the way we wish things were and the way we find things to be when viewed through our mind's eye. This is different to how things actually are, of course, and I will provide my perspective on this concept as this bundle of writings unfolds.

This collection of musings forms a conversation across several dimensions:

It extends between me and myself, a conversation within my own mind about what I experience, perceive, feel, think, and, ultimately, learn;

Another aspect extends between you and me: I write here to offer you my viewpoint in hopes that you and I can come to some sort of mutual understanding--and not only when we find our opinions in agreement. In fact, it is especially important for us to seek mutual understanding in such times as when we do not see eye to eye. You are always welcome to discuss your thoughts upon reading, challenge what I say, or add to the dialog. I reserve the right to respectfully disagree, but please rest assured that I will take anything you suggest under advisement. The more I learn, the more I realize I have yet to learn;

And the final dimension of this collection extends through time to connect who I am now, at the time of writing--and thus, who I was then--and who I will be tomorrow.

More practically, though, this is a medium through which I hope to keep in touch with those people whose lives have intersected with mine and whom I am privileged to know. And perhaps it will provide me opportunity to become acquainted with new people.

Drop me a line and let me know what you think. I am always ready with an open mind and a ready ear.

So it is. All is well in the world.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿